- Elected Representatives
- City Council
- City Staff
- City Financials
- City Statistics
- Works Information
- LPA Jurisdiction
- Local Planning Area Map
- Master Plan
- Zonal Regulations
- Change of Land Use
- Layout approval
- Building Plan
Historical Places in Tiptur Taluk
Aralaguppe is a small village in the Tiptur taluk. Aralaguppe is considered the 'museum of temples.' The Kalleswara and Chennakeshava temples, dedicated to Lord Shiva and Vishnu respectively. They are built by Nolambas and Hoysalas respectively.
Kalleshwara temple is a pre-Hoysala structure. Its mukhamantapa ceiling, is considered the most beautiful sculpture found in the State. The extraordinary ceiling of the mukhamantapa, with the Nolambas style portrayal of Umasahita (Shiva and Parvati together) at the central panel, is a stark contrast with the otherwise ordinary interior.
Consisting of garbagriha, antarala, and a mukhamantapa (with three lateral shrines), the temple's sanctum sanctorum is adorned with a huge black-granite Shivalinga.
While the adhishtana is made of granites, the temple's walls and towers are constructed with bricks. The outer walls are insipid without projections and recesses, but for the lone niche at the antarala that divides the vimana from the mukhamantapa. Pilasters built closer at the temple's interiors however, appears more refreshing.
The extraordinary ceiling of the mukhamantapa, with the Nolambas style portrayal of Umasahita (Shiva and Parvati together) at the central panel, is a stark contrast with the otherwise ordinary interior.
The image of Gajalakshmi on the doorway adds charm to the place. The four lathe-cum-pillars, with cubical bases, supports the navaranga's ceiling. Apart from the Shiva-Parvati panel, the ceiling has eight other carvings of ashtadikpalakas, depicted with their consorts and vehicles. Four vidyadharas, with garlands in their hands, face up to the Natesha (with the expression of approaching him from the corners of the panel's beams).
These garland-bearing vidyadharas are quite common to Nolamba architecture; a clear evidence of the elegance and comprehensiveness of their style. The Natesha, meanwhile, is a remarkable three-dimensional image, wearing jewels such as the katibandana and tassels. The dancing lord is accompanied by three bhutas playing a three-headed percussion instrument. They are also seen with ayut and other symbols.
The northern and eastern lateral shrines contain idols of Keshava and Surya, while the southern one contains the Umasahita mounted over a large stele with a lotus pedestal and a prabhavali with a couple of flying vidyadharas.
The Chennakeshava temple, on the other hand, is a 13th century ekakuta shrine, familiar to Hoysala specialists.
Chennakeshava temple Front View.
Built on a hexagonal-star plan, the temple stands on a raised platform, with elephant idols (of four to five feet) at each corner is portrayed to be supporting the structure. The raised structure is also the typical feature of the Hoysala architecture.
The temple's vimana is a full star complete with towers. Figurines adorning it are lined up in six rows and contain a menagerie of elephants and cavalries interspersed with words from the scriptures. Yalis and hamsas with an additional row of scrolls that support the walls (common in Hoysala temples) are found here.
None of the 85 reliefs found in the outer walls contain images of Shiva, suggesting that this is a typical vaishnavite shrine. A later addition to the structure on the southern side obstructs its view from the side. The four lowest friezes extends from the closed hall as the base of the wall in the poach.
The wall's top portion has a group of elegant small towers and slanted seat-backs. The temple's interior is fairly elaborate, while the garbagriha has Keshava's cult images. Signatures over the sculptures here contain the name Honoja or Honnoja - the sculptor.
How to get there? Aralaguppe is Located 20 km from Tiptur. Aralaguppe can be reached by trains running in the Bangalore - Tiptur - Arasikere route (Please check with the Railway department for a list of trains that stop here). Carry your own food, as the place has no restaurants. 120 km from Bangalore, the village can also be reached by road from Tiptur.
Hattana has a Temple for Bhagawan Parshwanatha in the kayotsarga posture.
The history of this temple dates back to the 11th century. This temple is said to have been constructed in the year A.D.1078. An inscription of this period says that Machishety, Kalishetty and Bammaiah the have donated lands to the construction of the temple. Hattana is located in the Tiptur taluk of Tumkur district. It has good transport facilities from Tumkur and Tiptur.
Historical Places Near Tiptur
Tiptur Kote Sri Anjaneya Swamy Temple
KOTE SRI ANJANEYA SWAMY TEMPLE, TIPTUR
It is one of the oldest temple in the tumkur district. It is Believed that Sri Vyasaraja Guru ( Guru of Sri Krishnadevaraya)has constructed the temple in the Krishnadevaraya Era. It is one among the more than 1000 Hanuman temples established by Sri Vyasaraja in the Vijayanagara Empire.
The temple is renowated but the idol of Sri Hanuman has the same power, bliss & attraction as it was earlier.
It lies in the Centre of tiptur and usaually will be crowded on Saturdays.
SRI KEMPAMMA DEVI TEMPLE :
Sri Kempamma Devi is Preceding Diety for the town and surrounding 12 villages. The Temple is loacated at the center of the town and attracts crowds on fridays where people perform "Vehicle pooja". The Goddess has been worshiped from century's by local palegara's and residents. Annual car festival will be held in Chatira masa according to the Hindu Calender generally in Mid or end April which attracts huge crowd from town and surrounding villages. Goddess Kempamma is also known as Tipturamma and very famous in bestowing and caretaking the worshippers.
SRI KALLESHWARA SWAMY TEMPLE :
The temple is located in front of the Kempamma Temple and it is "Panchalinga Kshetra". There are 5 lingas in the temple and the temple dates back to vijayanagara Period and there are "Viragallu" in the temple which stands as the proof for the era or period in which the temple is constructed. On the Holy Day of MahaShivarathri the temple remains fully packed and devotees standing for a mile long ques for Holy Darshan.
SRI MALLIKARJUNA SWAMY TEMPLE :
Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy temple is one of the oldest temple in the town. The temple has completed 100 years and in this period daily pooja and archana for the Lord Mallikarjuna are being performed without fail. This Temple is constructed by the Samartians of the Singri Family. The Temple consists seperate temples for Lord Ganesha, Goddess Bramaramba, Lord Subramanyeshwara along with his concerts, Lord lakshmi narayan, Lord Dattatreya and Navagrahas. The Temple also consists of "Naga Devatha" idols which are family dieties for many families in the town. the Temple complex is also extended to have seperate temple for Lord Sri Lakshmi Venkateshwara. The temple is one of the attractions of thr town and usually be crowded in Mondays and in the month of december. The Late Thespian of Kannada Cinema Dr. Raj kumar was regularly visiting the temple whenever he was travelling around Tiptur.
Nuggehalli is situated at the mid-point on the Tiptur-Channarayapatna state highway.
The present Nuggehalli in Channarayapatna taluk of Hassan district is a home to two elegant temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Shiva, belonging to the Hoysala period. This place has a historical past dating back to the early 1246 AD, during which, Hoysala King Someshwara ruled the region.
Present day Nuggehalli was earlier known as Vijaya Somanathapura, an agrahara founded by Bommanna Donnayaka in the year 1246 AD. He served under King Someshwara. Nuggehalli chieftains belonged to the Pudur Vamsha (dynasty) and one of their titles meant that the chief was "Champion over thirteen kings."
Their genealogy dates back to Thirumalya, the son-in-law of Prauhda Devaraya of Vijayanagara. Further, it is an ancient place near which a Chola king is said to have built Jayagondeshwara temple to which King Vishnuvardhana gave some grants in the year 1121 AD.
The inscriptions found in the temples of Nuggehalli attribute the time and construction of the temples of Lakshmi Narasimha and Sadashiva as 1246 AD and 1249 AD respectively and to Bommanna Dannayaka during the reign of King Someshwara. The two temples are of very different type, but are of equal importance from the point of view of architecture. Both the temples are well preserved.
This temple is an Ekakuta type, with a highly remarkable stellate mulaprasada having a completely original super structure. It is the most beautiful Hoysala nagara temple that survives today. It conforms to the nagara style architecturally with the presence of nagara and the absence of harantara recesses.
The whole temple stands on a platform, which is in conformity with the outline of the temple including the mulaprasada. A careful observation reveals that the tower above the mulaprasada is a little out of proportion.
A bhumija element of architecture is reflected in the tower and the original temple consisted of a garbagriha, a sukanasi, navaranga with porches and a Nandi mantapa. There is also a big hall with a shrine for the goddess, another hall on a lower level and a lofty mahadwara that exists today, were added to this original structure.
This ornate Trikuta temple with its exquisite carvings, giant wall - shrines, friezes, an embellished tower and a sukanasi - all standing on a platform, are bewitching to one's eye. The central vimana only has the original tower while the other towers on the lateral vimanas are the latter additions made to the existing roof. The steps originally provided to the platform in the eastern section, is now enclosed by latter extensions of the frontal portion. Thus, it has lost its functional unity with the temple.
Three walled-shrines in the surrounding walls of the central vimana add to its splendour, enhancing the overall beauty of the temple. A cornice divides the outer walls horizontally. The lower portion is embellished with around 120 large wall images depicting anecdotes from popular epics of Mahabharata and other puranas.
These wall - images are mainly the work of the then popular sculptors Mallithamma and Baichoja. This fact is supported by the attestation borne by these images. Vishnu as Vamana, Varaha, and Arjuna shooting the fish, are a few images, among many, are outstanding examples of fine sculpting by these master sculptors. On friezes, apart from the usual makaras, hansas, elephants, we find stories associated with Lord Krishna. The central garbagriha with an antharala enshrines cult-image of Keshava. In the northern and southern shrines (both without the antharala), we find cult-images of Sri Lakshmi Narasimha and Venugopala respectively.
This Page is Maintained by T S Ramasesha, AEE, CMC Tiptur.